Skip to main content

What a Thrill





In October, I preached at a new church plant in Newmarket, the Journey. It was a pleasure to have an opportunity to speak to an enthusiastic group of believers there. As a part of my message encouraging people to share their faith, I told the story of my conversion. I shared how I had grown up in a home where neither of my parents was involved in church life. I attended Tereora College in Rarotonga and was in the fourth form. One of my friends invited me to come with him to an afterschool Christian group run by a man by the name of Brian Chitty (that is him in the photo above). I explained how I had come to faith, found it hard to maintain that faith through my teens and early twenties, but then recommitted my life to Christ in my mid-twenties some ten years later. I went on with the message which was well received.

I was stunned after the service to be approached by a woman, Rhema, who told me that she was Brian’s daughter. Unbeknown to me she attended this church and was equally shocked to hear that her father had led me to Christ some forty-five years prior. She shared with me that her dad was well and living in Auckland and that she had invited him to church that day, but he had not come.

Anyway, I returned again to preach in the Journey again yesterday and I did a quick summary of my former message and further encouraged the church with ideas as to how they could share their faith into the community more effectively. I mentioned Brian in passing and a voice called out from the congregation. It was Brian’s daughter Rhema who called out, “he’s here today.” At that moment, I noticed for the first time the man sitting beside her and it was Brian! I was thrilled. I could not help myself and left the lectern in the middle of my message causing rapturous applause and hugged him with much agapÄ“ love. It was an amazing and emotional moment. I felt a little like the prodigal in some way. Brian and I had connected a few years ago, but this was a moment that transcended that.

I am deeply grateful to Brian. He is an example of one of those evangelisers the world does not notice but who for years has planted the seed of God’s word in the hearts of many people in the Cook Islands and beyond. I am a Christian because of him. Any good I do in the wold in my ministry of teaching and writing is a credit to him and his faithfulness.

This is how Christianity works. Humble, seemingly non-descript people, share the gospel faithfully in small groups around the world, and some like me believe it, and we pass it on. That is why there are over 2 billion of us and Christianity is the world’s biggest religion. It is still growing at an extraordinary rate in many parts of the world, even if not in our western contexts. It is because of people like Brian.

I pay tribute to Brian and the millions like him who are good people, who pass on their faith, and people’s lives are transformed as a result.



Comments

Unknown said…
God is faithful! What a great story.
Beautiful site for these post and i am seeing the most of contents have useful for my clipping path.Thanks for a useful information. others information are commands like to share him Clipping Path ServiceThanks for You Sharing.
UFA88 said…
Thank you so much for this post! I love this pattern - it's perfect for showcasing beautiful blog posts.
ufa88kh.blogspot
youtube
SA GAMING

Popular posts from this blog

Ten Reasons Why A.J. Miller is NOT Jesus!

Note: Forgive me for the long blog, but this one really got me going! Last Sunday night on TV One's Sunday aired the report A.J. The Messiah. The program was the story of A.J. Miller in Queensland in Australia, who, unlike most of us, genuinely believes that he is Jesus. Miller appears at one level to be a normal Aussie bloke, in his early thirties, longish brown hair, unshaven, good looking, articulate and charismatic. Yet, unlike anyone I know but in the manner of other Messiah-claimants, he says without inhibition, "I am actually Jesus." He claims to remember vividly his former life and death including his experience of crucifixion. The memories supposedly began when he was 2 years old and realised later that he was Jesus around 33. In the program he writes on a white-board, "I am Jesus. Deal with it"—to applause from his congregation. He has disciples, some of whom claim to have been with him 2000 years ago including Mary Magdalene who is his "soul-ma

Tribute to Stuart Lange

For anyone who is interested, I have attached my tribute to Rev Stuart Lange here. He is a legend! It was fun to roast him.... A Tribute to Stuart Lange, No Longer Vice Principal Community of Laidlaw… But still church history lecturer… so not a good bye, but my way of Saying Thanks to you for your years as VP Community… Stuart Lange, not Langey; or Longey; or not langgggg.. but Lange! Or, as I like to put it, S.lang… Slang… for good reason. Stuart Lange, history prof, a man who truly embodies his subject; the quintessential historical prof… Slightly eccentric, crooked smile, hooked and bent nose… you know he has a crook elbow too, took the dog for a walk, hit the chain, smashed the elbow… Of course the dog was unharmed… No Surprise, a lover of animals, each year looking after the animals at the Massey Christmas drive through, donkeys, lamas… etc… Then there is his Einsteinlich hair… kind of a wild man of Southland look… in fact… Stuart Lange A face a cartoonist would die for! The ne

Evangelical Presbyterians’ Statement On Same Sex Marriage

I am involved in a group called Presbyterian Affirm. It is an evangelical group within the NZ Presbyterian Church which seeks to promote the gospel and the renewal of churches. A group of us under the leadership of Stuart Lange have worked to put together a statement on same-sex marriage. Our hope is that the government will not pass the legislation, believing that the legislation is not necessary and strays from God’s ideals for humanity. Here is the recently released statement. I would appreciate your thoughts on it. PRESBYTERIAN GROUP OPPOSES SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BILL Presbyterian AFFIRM, a widely-supported conservative network within the Presbyterian denomination, is speaking out against the Bill which would allow same-sex couples to marry, declaring its views in a “Statement on Marriage” (see below). Presbyterian AFFIRM believes that “marriage is a unique human institution and treasure” which has “always been about the pairing of a man and a woman”, and that re-definin